Today in Johnson City History: July 7

July 7, 1870: The Daily Press and Herald, a newspaper in Knoxville, reported “The following Tennessee inventions received letters patent during the week ending July 2nd: Y. Bashor, Johnson City, machine for packing flour.”

July 7, 1871: The Bristol News reported, “Johnson City is to soon have a large, fine hotel, principal part of the building will be thirty six feet by sixty five, and and thirty four by sixty feet, all three full stories high.”

July 7, 1880: The Knoxville Whig and Chronicle reported, “Capt. Smith E. Mooney, of Hawkins county (sic) has been appointed by Col. J. M. Melton (as) deputy U.S. revenue collector, (replacing) vice deputy Richard Butler, who resigned. Capt. Mooney’s headquarters for the present will be at Johnson city (sic).

July 7, 1885: The Knoxville Daily Journal reported,  “Mrs. R.L. Taylor, is quite sick at her home in Johnson City. Mr. Taylor will join her in a day or two.” Mr. Taylor would be elected governor in 1887 and again in 1897.

July 7, 1929: Dr. and Mrs. A.T. Lamm of Johnson City were visiting Mrs. and Mrs. L.W. McFarland in High Point, North Carolina.

July 7, 1948: Buck Driskill’s single to center in the last of the ninth scored Phil Lewandowski from second to give the Puiaski Counts a thrilling 6-5 win over the- second-place Johnson City Cardinals, giving Pulaski a 10-game lead in the Appalachian League standings.

July 7, 1958: Engaged couple Shirley Holthauser and Tom L. Colvill were to be married in Louisville, Kentucky, and then locate in Johnson City. Colvill was a student at Milligan College.

Sources: Daily Press and Herald; Bristol News; Knoxville Whig and Chronicle; High Point Enterprise; Pulaski Southwest Times; Anderson Herald.

Facebook Comments