Today in Johnson City History: June 23

June 22, 1890: The Chattanooga Republican reported that Rev. D.F. Chockley would be the pastor of the Second Baptist Church that was recently organized in Johnson City. The church had 33 charter members.

June 22, 1891: The Evening Sentinel, a newspaper based in Knoxville, Tennessee, reported on June 22, 1891, “In the game of base ball Saturday between the ‘Sky Rockets’ and the Johnson City nine the score stood 12 to 0 in favor of Johnson City.”

June 22, 1892: The Comet reported, “When it comes to little things our co-operative (sic) neighbor is in it. The advance agent who billed Johnson City’s 4th of July celebration had scarcely finished his labors in the quiet village when the large posters were ruthlessly torn down by some of the ‘idle hands.’ The devil has employed them.”

June 22, 1921: The Jonesboro Herald and Tribune reported that Rev. W.E. Swinney, minister of First Christian Church, had recently performed the wedding ceremony between Miss Lila Watson of Johnson City and Mr. John Sherfey of Knob Creek.

June 22, 1953: The Family Drive-In’s grand opening featured John Ford’s “The Quiet Man” starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. The theater was on the New Jonesboro Highway (U.S. Highway 11E) next to the Derby Grill.

June 22, 1966: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle published an image of Alcoholic Beverage Commission Agent Avery Moore with moonshine seized in a raid on a still. The still and 218 gallons of whiskey were destroyed.

Sources: Chattanooga Republican; Evening Sentinel; The Comet; Jonesboro Herald and Tribune; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories

Facebook Comments