Today in Johnson City History: June 28

June 28, 1884: The Comet reported, “A match game of base ball (sic) will be played in our city July 4th between the Bristol Base Ball Boys, and the Osborne Boys, of Johnson City.”

June 28, 1888: The Comet reported, “Mr. Chas. Fine will open a book store in the room next to the Bank of Johnson City about the 15th, of July. He will carry a full line of school books and school stationery, also a large and complete line of all kinds of books and fancy stationery. In connection with his book store he will also run a news stand that will keep for sale the leading dailies and magazines. A store of this kind has long been needed here and we trust Mr. Fine’s effort to supply the want will be appreciated.”

June 28, 1891: Farriers J.M. Matthews & Sons advertised, “Work done to order and satisfaction guaranteed, also carriage work of all kinds done by J.W. Goforth & Company at same shop. Work done in first-class style. Shop on East Main Street, Johnson City, Tenn. Give us a call and be convinced. 64-264.”

June 28, 1892: The Comet reported that the Board of Education had met the previous night. The main course of business was the selection of schoolteachers for the upcoming school year.

June 28, 1925: The Bluefield Daily Telegraph in West Virginia reported plans for the road through Johnson City between Bristol and Asheville, North Carolina, as part of a north-south route to Florida. “Some distance beyond Johnson City the road la not paved, but it is understood efforts are being made to pave it before winter.”

June 28, 1935: Mr. and Mrs. Philip Henry Kunzig of Bronxville, New York, announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Ethel Gay Kunzig, to Harry Byron Gervin of Philadelphia. Mr. Gervin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Alfred Gervin of Johnson City, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1923. He was associated with Edward B. Smith and Co. in Philadelphia.

June 28, 1945: The Kingsport Times reported that Staff Sgt. William B. Peel, son of Hammett B. Peel of Johnson City, had been liberated from a prisoner of war camp in Germany.

June 24, 1964: An ad announced the grand opening of the newly renovated Broadway Court at 2608 Kingsport-Bristol Blvd.

June 28, 1966: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported that Maj. Billy J. Nave had been killed in a helicopter crash in Vietnam. He was a son of Mrs. Mary Archer of 1205 E. Holston Ave., in Johnson City.

June 18, 1968: “Planet of the Apes” was at the Majestic Theatre on East Main Street in downtown Johnson City.

Sources: The Comet; Bluefield Daily Telegraph; The Bronxville Press; Kingsport Times; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories.

Facebook Comments