By Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press
March 17, 1898: The Comet reported that Johnson City’s Dr. L.B. Caldwell had just been granted a patent on a Station Indicator, “and in time there is no doubt but what all the street car lines of the country will use it.”
March 17, 1966: Mary Elsie White, executive director of the Johnson City Girl Scout Council for more than 20 years, was honored for her work with the organization. The Business and Professional Women’s Club had also recently honored her.
March 17, 1971: The “Miracle Mall” opened in Johnson City.
March 17, 2012: Niswonger Children’s Hospital held “Broadway Comes to Greeneville” for the first time.
Sources: The Comet; Col. Gary McAllister; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Cookie McKinney