Today in Johnson City History: March 2

By Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press

March 2, 1899: The Comet reported that a bill allowing Johnson City to issue bonds for public improvements  had passed both houses of the state legislature. The bill permits an issue of $10,000, but it was proposed to issue only $3,500 at the time to be used in purchasing the Crandall Building and converting it to City Hall.

March 2, 1911: The Comet reported on the great fire that destroyed much of neighboring Elizabethton early that morning. Described as the biggest fire in the city’s history, it wiped out the last of the buildings erected by the cooperative Town Company 20 years earlier. The News block, on the corner of Elk avenue and Sycamore Street, was a total loss. The News block included a grocery store, a millinery, a furniture and broom factory, a photography studio and a roots and herbs shop. The First National Bank and the Collins and Tipton law offices were badly damaged, and the City Department Store and Smith & Co. clothiers were damaged by heat.

March 2, 1960: Charlie Ellis and Jim Bowman, two Science Hill High School students, won National Forensic League Awards at the District Congress. The Science Hill club had 35 members.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle

For more about Johnson City’s 150th birthday, visit www.johnsoncity150.com.

Facebook Comments