Today in Johnson City History: May 15

May 15, 1902: Mr. and Mrs. Allan Harris had arrived in the city and were at the residence of Col. and Mrs. W.P. Harris on Second Street (East Fairview Avenue).

May 15, 1903: The Knoxville Sentinel reported, “Rev. J.A. Ruble and wife, who have been in Knoxville for a few days, leave this afternoon for their home at Johnson City. Rev. Mr. Ruble has been appointed chaplain of Soldiers’ Home at Johnson City. He stated to a representative of The Sentinel today that he expected to assume his duties July 1, in connection with the home. He will be released from his charge as pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Johnson City at that time.”

May 15, 1905: The U.S. Post Office Department had permitted the office at Johnson City to install a sub-station.

May 15, 1915: Mathias Lockner had been killed instantly by a rock slide at the zinc mine in Embreeville.

May 15, 1940: A trial date was set the following Monday in the murder case against Bessie Fry, who was accused of shooting her husband, Palmer Fry. Palmer, a 30-year-old WPA worker, was shot Feb. 6 and later died of his injuries.

May 15, 1949: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle published an image of school safety patrol members watching a game at Cardinal Park.

May 15, 1955: “East Of Eden” starring James Dean started a run at the Sevier Theatre on Spring Street in downtown Johnson City.

May 15, 1965: The Press-Chronicle published an image of Science Hill High School students Yvonne Hodges, Bob May and Rick Tucker in a scene from their senior play.

May 15, 1974: Rebecca Masters, a 1970 Science Hill graduate, was named the outstanding student for 1973-74 in East Tennessee State University’s journalism program as the recipient of the John Pittman Prize for Excellence in Journalism.

Sources: The Comet; The Knoxville Sentinel; The Chattanooga News; Johnson City Staff; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories

Facebook Comments