May 19, 1883: Cephas Shelburne of Johnson City had received a patent for a gas engine.
May 19, 1883: T.A. Faw from Johnson City was attending a farmers’ convention.
May 19, 1887: Readers of The Comet were told, “Don’t forget the excursion to Cranberry next Saturday. The train will leave Johnson City at 6:39 in the morning. Half fare will be charged for the round trip. Go and enjoy yourself and help a good cause. The excursion is being managed by S.H. Ponder and is for the benefit of the Y.M.C.A. of Johnson City.”
May 19, 1892: The Comet reported. “Johnson City is located 106 miles northeast of Knoxville at the intersection of two great trunk lines, the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia, and the Charleston, Cincinnati and Chicago Railroads; and at the termini of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina and the Johnson City and Carolina Railroads.”
May 19, 1920: The Journal and Tribune, a newspaper in Knoxville, reported that several teachers for the East Tennessee Normal School had been named for the upcoming summer term. East Tennessee Normal School is now known as East Tennessee State University.
May 19, 1953: The new Kern’s Bakery in Johnson City had its grand opening.
May 19, 1956: The Armed Forces Day Parade took place in downtown Johnson City.
May 19, 1957: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle published an image of three students who had received awards at Langston High School. Ida Rhea, a sophomore, received the most valuable band member award by J.C. Penney Co.; Aaron Long, a senior, was awarded the Kiwanis Club boys’ basketball trophy; and Jo Ann Stevenson, senior, was awarded the Kiwanis girls’ basketball award.
May 19, 1968: The Press-Chronicle published an image of Mrs. John A. Harlan, of Johnson City, accepting the posthumous Bronze Star award presented to her husband, who had been killed in combat in Vietnam.
Sources: The Chattanooga Daily Times; The Knoxville Daily Chronicle; The Comet; Journal and Tribune; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories