May 30, 1885: The Comet issued an opinion that King Springs was one of the most delightful summer resorts in the South. W.T. Rucker’s resort was just 2 miles from downtown. The water was described as “chalybeate, full of magnesia and sulphur.”
May 30, 1947: Appalachian League President Carl A. Jones Jr., who also was Johnson City Press-Chronicle’s publisher, announced that R.W. “Dick” McNabb had been named umpire-in-chief.
May 30, 1957: East Tennessee State College President, Dr. Sidney Gilbreath announced that Ina Yoakley, former Dean of Women, would be honored posthumously by the College for her work. Construction would soon begin on Yoakley Hall, a women’s residence hall.
May 30, 1969: A picture and caption in the Johnson City Press-Chronicle showed Mr. and Mrs. Allen Harris Sr. dressed in period clothing of 1869. They were helping celebrate Johnson City’s Centennial by arriving in a horse-drawn carriage to the Junior Service League’s (now the Junior League) Centennial Ball at the Johnson City Country Club.
May 30, 2012: Johnson City Power Board President and CEO Homer G’Fellers announced his resignation after serving with the local utility for nearly 38 years.
Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Archives of Appalachia, Mary Hardin McCown Collection; Johnson City Press