Oct. 11, 1889: The Johnson City Electric Light and Power Company planned to install an incandescent lighting system for illuminating dwellings if demand was high enough to warrant the expense.
Oct. 10, 1911: The Tennessee State Legislature adopted Tennessee’s first and current flag, which was first raised at dedication ceremonies at the newly opened East Tennessee Normal School. The dedication took place eight days after the first session of the school opened.
Oct. 10, 1938: U.S. Commissioner W.R. Repass held a preliminary hearing in Johnson City regarding federal “white slavery” charges against people after raid at a roadhouse on the highway between Kingsport and Johnson City. The warrant alleged that Tom Frazier, his wife and son had transported girls from Virginia and Kentucky for immoral purposes in violation of the Mann Act of 1910.
Oct. 10, 1965: The Reece Museum at East Tennessee State University opened.
Oct. 10, 1975: The Four Seasons played at Freedom Hall.
Oct. 10, 2010: First Tennessee Human Resource Agency’s NET Trans program, Johnson City Transit and the Town of Jonesborough announced a partnership for a fixed shuttle route between Jonesborough and Johnson City.
Sources: The Comet; “History of Washington County Tennessee,” 1988; “Remembering Johnson City”; Johnson City Chronicle; “Greater Johnson City A Pictorial History”; Vince Staten; Johnson City Press.