Today in Johnson City History: October 30

Oct. 30, 1890: Mr. T.M. Darden had moved his family from Limestone to Johnson City and they were occupying his residence in the East Tennessee Land Company’s Addition.

Oct. 30, 1902: The Watauga Lighting and Tower Co. was overhauling its street lines and was preparing to furnish lights for all residences.

Oct. 30, 1937: The Johnson City Business and Professional Women’s Club met in the dining room of the Nurses Home at the Veteran’s Facility. Gladys Dixon was the Program Chair, with the topic “What the Veteran’s Faculty Means to This Community.” Col. Lee Harr, Manager of the Veteran’s Facility, presented remarks to the ladies.

Oct. 30, 1966: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported that George W. Kelly was named editorial director of the newspaper, as well as WETB, a radio station. Carl Jones, publisher of the newspaper and president of the radio station, made the announcement.

Oct. 30, 1967: The Centennial Celebration of Science Hill High School was held. Mary Hardin McCown, of the Class of 1907, Science Hill Male and Female Institute, gave the address.

Oct. 30, 1978: The Harlem Globetrotters played basketball at Freedom Hall Civic Center.

Oct. 30, 1986: The Taste of Johnson City was held at Freedom Hall Civic Center.

Oct. 30, 2007: Two-headed creatures prowled the halls of Lake Ridge Elementary School just in time for Halloween. No worries — the creatures were not monsters but second-graders who decorated pumpkins to create self-portraits using yarn, paint and other household materials.

Sources: Archives of Appalachia, Cox-Painter-Adams Family Papers and Mary Hardin McCown Collection; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Johnson City Press

Facebook Comments