Oct. 6, 1887: Three of the new consolidated freight engines recently ordered by the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad had arrived and were doing duty. “They are from the Baldwin works, and are the finest machines ever brought south,” The Comet reported. “They have been numbered 411, 412 and 413. Seventeen others of the same kind and four passenger engines are yet to come.”
Oct. 6, 1910: A difficulty had occurred at the carnival grounds the previous night during which John Carroll and “Toad” Brockwell received knife wounds.
Oct. 6, 1928: Republican Presidential nominee Herbert Hoover campaigned in Johnson City.
Oct. 6, 1956: East Tennessee State College announced plans for a new “Religious Emphasis Days” program the following week with support from the Central Religious Council, a group with representatives from campus Christian denominations.
Oct. 6, 1962: Quarterback Jimmy Baker led East Tennessee State’s Bucs to a 26-6 victory over Tennessee Polytechnic Institute (Tennessee Tech) in Cookeville.
Oct. 6, 1979: Johnny Paycheck and the Bellamy Brothers performed at Freedom Hall Civic Center.
Oct. 6, 1995: The Hamilton Bank headquarters moved to Mockingbird Lane; the bank is now SunTrust Bank.
Sources: The Comet; “Greater Johnson City A Pictorial History”; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Johnson City Postcard History Series.