Today in Johnson City History: April 23

April 23, 1869: First Presbyterian Church was organized.

Today in Johnson City History: April 22

April 22, 1909: A committee appointed to study Johnson City’s water quality problems reported that the city would need additional legislation enabling it build or acquire its own water works.

Today in Johnson City History: April 21

April 21, 1892: Arrangements were complete for a new tannery planned for Johnson City. The Comet reported that organizers had been on the site of the tannery the day before with a corps of surveyors, and finished the work of laying off for side tracks and a railroad connection.

Today in Johnson City history: April 20

April 20, 1893: The Comet reported that Judge H.C. Hart planned to erect a building on the corner of Market Street and Public Square. The building was to be about 60 feet on each street, three stories high and “one of the most convenient and handsome” buildings in East Tennessee.” The first floor was to be occupied by store rooms and the second and third by offices, spacious and well arranged.

Today in Johnson City History: April 19

April 19, 1884: The Comet reported that Engine No. 1, the Watauga, of the Narrow Gauge Railroad (ET&WNC), had been overhauled and repainted. The work was done in the machine shop in Johnson City. “Mr. Ed. Tally did the painting and the engine now looks as bright and fresh as when new.”

Today in Johnson City History: April 18

April 18, 1884: A drove of elegant giraffes, tall and graceful, arrived with Barrett & Co.’s New United Railroad Shows in Johnson City. The circus also brought a giant horse, Asiatic and African elephants harnessed to golden chariots and the “best performers from Europe and the Americas.” It featured an elevated amphitheater stage for roller skating, acrobatics and bicycling.

Today in Johnson City History: April 17

April 17, 1905: A flag designed by Johnson City native Col. Le Roy Reeves became the official flag of the State of Tennessee.

Today in Johnson City History: April 16

April 16, 1951: Gov. Gordon Browning appointed Johnson City attorney Frank Bryant as chancellor for the state’s 1st Chancery Division.

Today in Johnson City History: April 15

April 15, 1947: F.A. and C.J. McNees, owners and operators of McNees Brothers Dairy, purchased the Utopia Dairy Farm from the Smithdeal family at auction in Johnson City.

© 2020 Johnson City Press. Innovation by The NET360.